Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving! But Are We Really Thankful? : Unseen Blessings that We Tend to Underappreciate


I remember, I asked a young girl a few years ago during Thanksgiving what was she thankful for, and She said softspokenly "My daddy, because he buys me things." Confused, I continued to question her. "If your daddy is unable to buy you nice things, will you still be thankful for him?". She stared at me wide eyed as if I was speaking some alien language, and of course had no reply. These days we are constantly told by the media, that we are not pretty enough, or that we need to possess material things; and lack thereof equates to unhappiness. It is no surprise that many of us do not possess an attitude of gratitude.

Thanksgiving Holidays over the years have evolved from extended family gatherings and thanks giving, whether formal ceremonies or round table discussions before dinner, to Door Busters, Online Deals and Gluttonous Feasts causing people like me to fall victim to unwanted Congratulatory remarks. "For the last time, I'm not pregnant Aunty, I'm just fat!" Well, that's what you get for eating the whole damn turkey and all the pumpkin pie. (mmm.... I love pumpkin pie)

I once read that grateful people are happy and healthy people. Why is this? This is because they take the time to appreciate what they have. There is no worry about what they do not possess.

There are may ways to be thankful and so many things that we should be grateful for that go unnoticed.You can start by complaining less and appreciating more .

Here, try this....

Instead of saying I have all these dishes to wash, be thankful for the meal you just ate.

Before you complain about the laundry that needs to be done, remember that someone somewhere does not have a shirt on their back so be grateful.

....and so forth.

I generally like to start each day with a small prayer, or yell "TG4L" all groggy voiced, which simply means "Thank God for Life". It is important to begin your day by being thankful or grateful. Here's a short list of what I am thankful for.
  • I am Thankful for Life because there are many that did not wake up this morning.
  • I am thankful for Good Health, because someone somewhere is battling incurable illness.
  • I am thankful for Love, genuine affection from my friends and family because there are many who have lost their immediate loved ones.
What are you thankful for? Share in the comments, I'd like to hear!
The Stiletto Bawse


Comments

  1. I agree with complaining less and appreciating more! My husband and I are working on this with our children too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Dating Me!: Tips on How This Millennial "Survives" Singleness by Cultivating Self Love

I was inspired to talk about this topic after taking myself for Sushi today and jokingly posting a picture of my sushi roll on my SnapChat Story captioned with the title of this post...I'll admit that the title does make me sound like a loner, but I am in fact the complete opposite. First off, I must say that I have experienced all (or most) of the highs and lows of dating and I have grown completely comfortable with being alone. I have taken the time to enjoy life's luxuries alone and developed an unusual liking for "water tasting." I know it sounds really weird, but in my leisure time I have researched and tried several different brands of water in addition to taking up a few online courses. (PS - Core Hydration Perfect pH Water is the business). It is important to understand that being single is not all about drinking wine alone on a Friday night and sobbing over romantic comedies (although I do find solace in partaking from time to time). Being single provides s

BBHMM!!!: How to Reclaim YOUR Finances and "Secure the Bag" in 2018

Last week, I wrote about New Year Resolutions and offered some practical advice for helping you stick to your resolutions and ultimately achieving those goals. The most commonly expressed NYR is usually saving more money, or managing personal finances better. Today, I'm going to share with you the BES Tips for better money management and introduce to you the StilettoBawse Saving Scheme ! One thing that I have learned in my earlier 20's, is the importance of saving. Not just for rainy days, but it feels good when you are in charge of your finances and not the other way around. And lets forbid that we do have another economic downturn, a plan B is always necessary. Andddddd besides.... living paycheck to paycheck is NOT cutting it in this day and age... Seriously guys, I cannot. A healthy financial life is not all about how much you make, its about how well you are able to manage your finances and save. Here's how I have maintained control of my finances, which also

iTRAP: Taking Risks and Prospering - 6 Tips for Overcoming Obstacles that Deter You From Taking Risks

Taking risks is necessary to move forward in life. There are too many people today who dream about that job, that house, that new hairstyle or even sending that "I Love You" text that has probably been sitting in draft text messages for weeks. The Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary defines Risk as: the possibility that something bad or unpleasant will happen. Too often, we (because I too am guilty), have associated the word risk with the negative outcome. My ideal definition of risk does not focus solely on the negative connotation of the word. In fact the StilettoBawse defines risk as: the possibility of a desired outcome upon developing an idea, or a from an occurrence of a series of events. Too many times it can become way too easy to just stick to the things that we are all comfortable with, "The Norm". It's so much easier to wake up and go to a job (that you may hate), than it is to move onto a new one. I must admit, that I too was once ce