Skip to main content

New Year New Me!: Why New Year Resolutions Fail and How to Set SMARTER Goals!

                                                      
                                                   
It's almost 2018, and it's time for the "New Year, New Me's"........

At the beginning of every calendar year social media timelines are flooded with long cliche quotes on Instagram and Facebook captions where the masses tends to publicise their goals, but in reality never really make any real progress.

"I'm going to lose weight." "I'm going to work on my attitude." "I want to make more money." - Oh, This one has been recycled since the Great Depression of the 1930's... No seriously guys...

The start of a new year is the ideal time to set goals, and start a new chapter in you life. But why do new year resolutions fail?

The first few weeks are usually great. The gyms are packed to capacity, and the church pews are occupied from end to end. The "New Me" is off to a great start. However, many persons tend to revert to their old behaviours and mindsets by February, or for the stronger willed, at the beginning of spring (Early April). Why is this?

These are the Most Common Reasons Why New Year Resolutions Fail.

We try to accomplish too much all at once. This can become extremely overwhelming and cause us to give up when we see little or no progress. Rome was not build in a day, so understand too that you will not accomplish great wealth instantly either.

We tend to set unrealistic Goals. "Lose 50lbs in one month". Yeaahhh.... So, unless you plan to undergo some surgical procedure or you have a Magic Genie, this is not realistic and you are more than likely setting yourself up for failure.

Our Goals aren't specific. Yes, I understand that you want to be successful, but what will you be successful at? How do you intend to become successful? By when do you want to become successful?

Do any of your goals fall into the above misconceptions about goal settings? I know, because I too can relate as I have had my fair share of disappointments when it comes to New Year resolutions and sticking to them. I can go on and on about the reasons for failure, but how does that solve this issue? The key is to identify what matters most to you and devise a plan outlining the best way possible to accomplish them. I know most of you have heard about SMART goals, but I have slightly "remixed" the acronym to address important aspects that I feel are integral in order to achieve your goals; Your SMARTER Goals. 

Specific - Your goals must be precise. Setting ambiguous goals can lead to uncertainty when identifying a suitable plan to attain these goals, and ultimately lead to failure. When setting your goals focus on the 6 W's - "Who, Why, Where, When, Which, and What?"
Measurable - You should be able to measure your goals by effectively demonstrating and evaluating the extent to which your goals have been met. Set goals that allow you to track your progress and see how you're doing.
Attainable - If your goals are too difficult, you may be less inclined to commit long term and vice versa. Your goals should not be below standard performance. So make sure that your goals are;
Realistic - You should be able to visualise your goals. Set goals that you are able and willing to work towards.
Time-bound - Your goals should be bound by time. By when do you want to achieve your goals? How long will it take to get the job done?
Everyday Thing This! - Your goals are structured to make you a better person. Although we tend to make these resolutions at the start of a new year, make it an every day thing. Remember you are working towards the best version of you there is. Why not work towards you daily?
Relevant - Your goals must be consistent with your immediate or long-term life plans. How do your goals align with your life? How will this help you in the long run?

Goal setting is not just a once in a lifetime or a seasonal thing as commonly misconstrued. It is ongoing,"Everyday Thing This!". It is much more than just saying that you want to accomplish things, it is actually doing. Once you have clearly defined what it is that you wish to accomplish and understand the relevance, your odds of achieving your goals are considerably greater. Congrats! Your final destination is within reach!

I'd love to hear about some of your goals for the new year in the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BBHMM!!!: How to Reclaim YOUR Finances and "Secure the Bag" in 2018

Last week, I wrote about New Year Resolutions and offered some practical advice for helping you stick to your resolutions and ultimately achieving those goals. The most commonly expressed NYR is usually saving more money, or managing personal finances better. Today, I'm going to share with you the BES Tips for better money management and introduce to you the StilettoBawse Saving Scheme ! One thing that I have learned in my earlier 20's, is the importance of saving. Not just for rainy days, but it feels good when you are in charge of your finances and not the other way around. And lets forbid that we do have another economic downturn, a plan B is always necessary. Andddddd besides.... living paycheck to paycheck is NOT cutting it in this day and age... Seriously guys, I cannot. A healthy financial life is not all about how much you make, its about how well you are able to manage your finances and save. Here's how I have maintained control of my finances, which also

I'm Dating Me!: Tips on How This Millennial "Survives" Singleness by Cultivating Self Love

I was inspired to talk about this topic after taking myself for Sushi today and jokingly posting a picture of my sushi roll on my SnapChat Story captioned with the title of this post...I'll admit that the title does make me sound like a loner, but I am in fact the complete opposite. First off, I must say that I have experienced all (or most) of the highs and lows of dating and I have grown completely comfortable with being alone. I have taken the time to enjoy life's luxuries alone and developed an unusual liking for "water tasting." I know it sounds really weird, but in my leisure time I have researched and tried several different brands of water in addition to taking up a few online courses. (PS - Core Hydration Perfect pH Water is the business). It is important to understand that being single is not all about drinking wine alone on a Friday night and sobbing over romantic comedies (although I do find solace in partaking from time to time). Being single provides s